Pages

10.23.2010

Back on the road

Home time came and went.

All in all it was nice, but by the 3rd day I was ready for him to be back on the road.

When the time came for him to go back on the road, I wanted him to quit.

It's a vicious cycle I tell ya.

I was a little annoyed that we didn't really do anything while he was here. Our alternator went out 2 weeks earlier and by the time we got it fixed, I had been without a car for nearly 3 weeks. He got home on a Saturday, the car didn't fixed until Friday. One whole week of nothing. Wasted.

On the bright side, I didn't have to play hostess to any strangers.

I don't know if it's just us or if other trucking families have the same problem, but we like to talk big. We talk about all the stuff we are gonna do when he gets home. The places we are gonna take the kids. The improvements we need to make to the inside of the house. (read: de-clutter)

And guess what??

NOTHING gets done.

WTH. It is seriously the MOST annoying thing ever.

He suggested that he take the kids for an afternoon so I could have a few hours of alone time. Did he do it? No. Annoying? Absolutely.

He asked me to wait to take the kids to the zoo until he got home. Did we go? No. Annoying? You know it.

He promised to take our oldest fishing. Did he take her? No. Annoying? You betcha.

He told me we would clear the clutter from the closets so we can actually use them for all things... clothes. Did we? No. Annoying? Of course.

He did of course play his facebook games. *insert eye roll here* Annoying? To the max.

See the pattern? Yeah. Not too difficult to see.

He wants to relax. I get it. I really do. But we are a family and the kids want to do stuff with their dad when he gets home. they are completely tired of being around me. Actually I am pretty sure they are disgusted by the very thought of having to spend one more minute with me.

This year has been THE most trying year of our marriage. I really don't see how people can do this their whole lives. He has been in this for 10 months now and I am ready for him to throw in the towel. Chalk it up as a loss and move on.

How selfish is that of me to even think that? Extremely.

Annoying? The most.

1 people had something to say:

Todd McCann said...

I don't really think it's selfish at all for you to think that. If both parties in a relationship aren't happy with what the trucker's lifestyle brings, it probably doesn't bode well for the relationship. I hate to say that, but it's the truth.

I've heard many a story about trucker's wives who have left their husbands because they refused to come off the road. How would a husband feel if his wife refused to quit dancing at the strip club? It wouldn't work. Like all things in marriage, it takes two people agreeing to make things work.

I'm not saying you're relationship is doomed or anything. I understand everyone is making sacrifices with this economy. What I am saying is that no job is worth a divorce, so if that thought ever enters your mind, it's time to put your foot down.

Todd McCann
https://twitter.com/ToddMcCann
http://abouttruckingjobs.wordpress.com