Pages

2.09.2010

Easy Breakfast Casserole

I have been on the lookout for a super easy breakfast casserole FOREVER. I have looked everywhere and couldn't find one that fit my family's tastes just right. This recipe is a collection of a couple different ones, just changed up a bit to suit our tastes.

This one is a winner!

Before we get to the recipe, let me just apologize for the pictures.
  1. I am a terrible photographer.
  2. I have a terrible camera. (these were taken before I got the new one)
  3. I am a terrible photographer.
  4. I have terrible lighting.
  5. I am a terrible photographer.
Easy Breakfast Casserole

1 lb bulk sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained (I use Publix brand since it doesn't have MSG)

6 or 7 eggs - depending on your love of eggs. I use 7.

5 or 6 Frozen hash brown patties - depending on the size of your pan and patties

1 cup of shredded cheese (shred your own, it's MUCH cheaper)

1/3 block of cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup each of cream and milk

salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9 x 13 with nonstick spray. Really lay it on, eggs stick! Or you could use crisco and just grease it like you would a loaf pan.

Lay the hash brown patties down first in a single layer and then cover with about 3/4 cup of cheese. Then layer on the cooked and drained sausage.
 Whisk your cream cheese until smooth. I usually add the cream at this point. It helps the cream cheese get smooth. Add your eggs, milk and seasonings and whisk until blended. Just season the eggs like you would if you were making scrambled eggs.

Pour the egg mixture over the patties, cheese and sausage and top with remaining cheese.
Bake for about 40 minutes or until set.
Let stand for a few minutes before cutting into... or if you are like me, dig right in!
Enjoy!

Remember how I said this was inspired by some other recipes?? Here they are.

I got the concept of this casserole from here. Let me just tell you... this is an AWESOME website.

Oh.

My.

Word. Talk about yummy Southern food.

The egg mixture was inspired by these. They are so good! We make them with sausage and ham as well. With and without the biscuits too!

4 people had something to say:

Anna McMullen said...

I love this. I looks so yummy. I have never thought about using the hashbrown patties. I have always used bread.
Thanks for sharing!

Amanda said...

This is fantastic!!! I am going to have to try it!~

Casey said...

Try it! My kids gobble it up!

Casey said...

Thanks Anna. I love the idea of the hash browns too! Makes it SUPER easy.