Pages

12.05.2010

What a difference a year makes

One year ago my husband quit his job. He quit because his job was being outsourced to India.

Again.

See 2 years prior to this, his job with a major shipping company got outsourced to India. Then *surprise surprise* their customer satisfaction went WAY down so they moved their software support BACK to the states. Just not back to where Chris worked.

He got placed with a job he hated. Customer support. He sat at a desk for 9 hours a day and listening to people complaining.

He started getting depressed. Not like clinically depressed. Just depressed about all the shoulda coulda woulda's he felt he missed out on.

Then he found out his job would be ending. The company told him that they would be slowing letting people go, anywhere October to December. He stuck with them until the end.

He took about a week off after he quit just so we could get things in order. Financially and emotionally.

He was starting CDL school.

He and I had talked about this for quite a while. It's something he and I've always wanted to do. I can remember my mother telling me to go get my CDL way back in like 1996. I never did. I should have, but I didn't.

I sure as heck didn't want Chris to miss this opportunity to get his. He had turned down the chance once before and wasn't letting it slip away again.

Monday, December 7th, 2009 was the day that changed everything for us.

I was now married to a trucker. For a year I had tried to get myself emotionally prepared for this roller coaster ride. The first 6 months after he left were the worst. I saw him 3 times. Well 4 actually. He just so happened to have a drop here in Jacksonville while he was out with his trainer so they stopped by and stayed the night.

I have always considered myself to be independent. I was a single parent for nearly 5 years. I know how to handle being alone. What I didn't know how to handle, was being a wife and being alone. I pretty much stunk at it. And still do at times.

There were times during this year that he wanted to quit. He was tired. Worn slap out. I wouldn't let him quit. I still won't let him quit.

He has dreams and is willing to go the extra mile to makes those dreams come true.

He knows what he is doing. He is respectful of others. He is a safe driver. He is an awesome husband and by far the better parent.

AND he is about to have that "Golden Year" under his belt. I thought I would never see the day and I am so proud of him for the sacrifices he is making for us.

2 people had something to say:

Todd McCann said...

Excellent post! I don't know if Chris reads your blog (The Evil Overlord rarely reads mine), but I hope he does. This is just the kind of appreciation that a driver needs to let him/her know that what they're doing isn't a total waste of time.

Just remember that it's BOTH of you that are making sacrifices to make this happen. Many times we drivers forget how hard running a household everyday can be. Keep it up, Super Mom.

And congratulations on finally puttting up another post... slacker. ;-)

fltruckerwife said...

Thanks for the comment. I still can't believe it's been a year. Time sure is fun when you're having flies... oh wait...

I can assure you I am NO super mom. By any stretch of the imagination. I do what I can and try not to sweat the small stuff. But thank you for the compliment. I will gladly accept it with a smile. :)